Antibiotic Resistance Facts
By some estimates, up to half of all hospitalized patients in the US receive antibiotics and up to half of antimicrobial use may be inappropriate.1 There is a causal relationship between inappropriate antimicrobial use and resistance; changes in antimicrobial use lead to parallel changes in the prevalence of resistance.2 The CDC has recommended a more judicious use of available antibiotic agents and one way to accomplish this is to identify patients who have been erroneously labeled as penicillin allergic. Penicillin allergy testing can be a safe and effective strategy to reduce the use of broad spectrum antibiotics and can help modify antibiotic selection.3
deaths are caused by drug-resistant bacteria each year in the US
illnesses are caused by drug-resistant bacteria each year in the US
Avoidable costs from antimicrobial misuse in the US range from $27 billion to $42 billion annually.
of Americans believe that antibiotic resistance is a significant problem for public health.
- 1Owens, RC Jr., Fraser GL, Stogsdill P et al. Antimicrobial Stewardship Programs as a Means to Optimize Antimicrobial Use. Insights from the Society of Infectious Disease Pharmacists. Pharmacotherapy. 2004;24:896-908.
- 2Dellit, TH, Owens, RC, McGowan JE, Jr et al. Infectious Disease Society of America and the Society for Healthcare Epidmiology of America Guidelines for Developing Institutional Programs to Enhance Antimicrobial Stewardship. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44-150-77.
- 3Arroliga, Mercedes, Pien, Lily. Penicillin Allergy: Consider Trying Penicillin Again. Cleveland Clinic Journal of Medicine. Volume 70. Number 4. April 2003
- 4CDC. Antibiotic Resistance Threats in the United States. Atlanta, GA: 2013. Available at http://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/threat-report-2013/.
- 5Healy, Melissa. LA Times. A Slow Catastrophe Unfolds as the Golden Era of Antibiotics Comes to an End. July 11, 2016.
- 6Carter, Rebecca et al. A Survey and Analysis of the American Public's Perceptions and Knowledge About Antibiotic Resistance Open Forum Infectious Diseases Advance Access. June 1, 2016.
- 7IMS Health. Avoidable Costs in U.S. Healthcare. Danbury, CT: IMS Health; 2013.